From:
Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2011 09:48:06 -0500
Andrew

Yes, a workgroup or department site is a "team site" that is shared by a
department, business unit or group.  Within the "team" site, the
libraries are set up differently than they are in the Records Center
Library in order to facilitate the process that creates the business
record for declaration.  For example, I might have one person managing
city and county permit applications content, while another manages state
permit content.  Ultimately, all of the permits may map to one content
type in the Records Center Library called "Permit Applications", but the
users may find it easier to keep them in separate content types on the
"team" site because the metadata and form names are different.  Once the
entire group of documents for a permit application are assembled, it can
be delared as a record.  The documents on the team site are pretty much
treated as working drafts until declaration...just like email.  If the
record is not declared within a certain period of time, then the
transitory documents are deleted or removed. If the permit application
is never filed, then the documents could either be removed or treated as
a short term reference file.

Retention policies for business records and transitory documents are
applied at the content type level.  We don't really use "folders" any
more...we use "data tags" to map content from a "team" site to the
Records Center Library where it belongs to a "collection" that is
retrievable by authorized users who belong to the security group.  A
link is left behind at the team site so that the user can quickly access
a document in the Records Center Library that has been declared.