From:
Wayne Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2011 09:52:42 -0400
Lorinda says: "Shouldn't the metadata be retained in some
form?"

That's the central question for me in this discussion.  Lorinda and Al both
suggest that it's better to keep some metadata after record destruction,
whereas earlier posts favoured destroying the metadata with the record.

A point of clarification: "Purge" is definitely a loaded word for RIM folks.  In the
context of the software I use, it means merely to destroy both the electronic
record AND its metadata, rather than just the record.

After mulling over this a bit, I think that keeping the metadata of destroyed
records is overkill... why for example would I need the metadata from records
destroyed 10 years ago?  If I'm compelled by court to produce destroyed
documents, it shouldn't matter that I have neither the document nor the
metadata - instead I have a sound retention schedule that is followed properly
and that indicates clearly that the records in question fulfilled retention
requirements and were destroyed.  There would be a destruction waiver to
provide further evidence of the destruction as a normal course of business.

I'm happy to be convinced otherwise, though... Al, if you can give an example
of how the metadata is extremely valuable to you in e-discovery then I'm all
ears.

Wayne Hoff, CRM
Calgary, AB