From:
"Annunziello, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:09:45 -0400
Hi Mohammed....

There are no Canadian standards setup for image resolution.  That being
said, a 300dpi file in comparison to 400 dpi is about 80% larger.  If
you were going to OCR the data, you might consider doing some testing on
both resolutions.  It has been my experience that there is little
depreciable differences between the two when OCR'ing the document.  If
you OCR at the desktop, scanning at 400dpi will slow down your imaging
process as you have to wait for the system to catch up to you.  A
smaller resolution takes less time.  Of course, if you OCR at the server
level, this is all null and void.

All three file formats which you mentioned are used in many
organizatons.  The defacto standard for full time scanning operations is
often TIF.  If you want to add or change pages within the document, you
may find this easier.  In our CMS, large TIF files would start to open
immediately.  For PDF, we had to wait for the full document to load,
prior to viewing.  Some systems do not default to auto open with a TIF
file causing the user to give up on loading the file or trying to find a
format that will enable them to open it.

PDF's are very much what most people use these days and are quite
content with them.  Very seldom do you every get a document from someone
stored as a TIF.  As well, Adobe reader are free and very
accessible...everyone has one.

PDF A is an archival format containing more stringent security around
it.  It can be considered for long term preservation.

So you may want to use all three, depending on the situation.