From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 08:48:23 -0700
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Sarah Wagner <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> ....I have noticed that there are some retention numbers/record types
> that are no longer included in the current schedules, but are in the RIM
> system for those boxes living out their life (although some are permanent).
> When certain records are no longer created and stored, but there are boxes
> stored, how do you address this? Do you still have them incorporated in
> your
> box storage system, and if so, do you still include it in your schedule, or
> do you remove it? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to address
> this, especially since some of these will be retained permanently, and I
> feel they should still be incorporated into the retention schedule, even
> though new records for this category are no longer retained.

Maybe its just me, but the first question I'd have to ask is why are there
records that were deemed "Permanent" at one point in time that are no longer
in the schedule?  Are they no longer generated, or has a determination been
made that they are no longer of sufficient value to be retained when
generated?

If the latter, why not make a similar determination about those that you
have currently and discard them "in the normal course of business", then
document i the decision by a letter to file?  If the former, but you still
have some form previous business actions, I would leave them in the schedule
and state in the description "Records in this series no longer generated as
part of business processes"

Retaining the records and not reflecting them in your schedule seems to be a
bad idea, especially if you are trying to respond to an audit about what
records you have and how long you retain them- if they aren't listed, but
are in your inventory, that may call into question the balance of your
inventory and how many other records you have that either aren't reflected
on the schedule, or are potentially "unscheduled".

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA