From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:14:39 -0700
Paul, Barclay T. Blair shared a chart on information governance (which  in
turn came from the IDC and which in turn was sent to this listserv in one of
Peter's RAIN postings) which graphically shows the cost of managing
information. While not specific to email, the information still applies.
We've actually incorporated it into our training as one of our "why do we do
this" points. You can find it and the accompanying article at:

http://barclaytblair.com/origins-of-information-governance-powerpoint/

The chart is copyright under creative commons, so it can be shared with
attribution.

I disagree, however, with the following points:

"most e-mail is valueless"

I think that is an assumption made in the early days of email that may no
longer apply as a blanket statement. Whether we like it or not, people are
using email as defacto records systems, and often for more than just
transitory conversations.

Also:

"most e-mails do not rise to the traditional definition of a record"

I am unfamiliar with the Texas definition of public record, but based on
Oregon's and other state definitions I am familiar with, email is most
definitely a record. Some of the worst email problems that I have been aware
of have derived from a denial of that. I would suggest not going there.

Hope this helps!

--
Dwight Wallis, CRM
Multnomah County Records Management Program