From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2011 15:26:54 -0600
So we go back to basics
emails may be records
it depends on their function and what values are assigned to them
the same criteria is assigned to email as any other record in deternmining whether it is a record
historical/administrative/fiscal/legal

Are there staisitcs?
Back in the day there was a lot of attention paid to email.
Statistical analysis was relatively easy coompared to now mainly do to the vastly smaller volume
In those days the internet was new and information sharing was all the rage.
today the work involved in doing this sort of analysis has value
the result is that if you want it you are going to have to pay for it.

The numbers we used to throw around were that 85% of all emails were not records.
My hunch (you folks got that right, just a hunch) is that a much smaller volume of emails are records across the board.

Those emails that have record value have not lost or in any way diminished in importance
One of our tasks, as Records Managers, is to identify and schedule these records as early as possible.
Another task, one that many Records Managers find the most difficult, is to allow IT to manage the rest.

Happy Friday,

Chris Flynn