From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2011 22:02:16 -0400
In Peter's post:

Read more: http://technorati.com/technology/it/article/dont-let-your-enterprise-sink-in/#ixzz1bevsEZ2p

SNIP:
"The trick, though, is to make all that data easily searchable and consistently findable; otherwise it has no real value for legal discovery."

At a recent conference, the lecturer talked about how we are being misled by the computer industry about the security and integrity of the Cloud. He used the computer industry's own data to show that storing on tape is 3,000 times more secure (and therefore more accurate) due to the fact that damaged data can make entire files become corrupted.

That compliance information and other high level material should never be in the Cloud as it does not meet the legal requirements for this type of information asset.

He also pointed out that storing on tapes is less than a third of the cost of keeping information on line all the time.

Also look at your own email, how much of it is junk and likely to end up on a server somewhere being treated with the same respect as the formula for cancer treatment drugs. They still rely on people and some people just do not purge. Not only that I send that secret method to remove all the silk from an ear of corn on the cob to everyone I know.  You thought it was amazing too, right!

(IMHO ) But few refute the computer guys so Garner and other make stuff become accepted practice when it is stupid to do so. For those of old enough to remember when there was no Mountain Dew® we know what "Digits to Dust" meant and we figured that out and the computer industry ignored it until enough people spoke up.

Energy costs and the continued hacking of these data bases make the Cloud a very unsafe place.

Side Note:  How many had their credit card companies tell them that they needed to ship a new card out and your old one is automatically canceled.  This was wide spread.  The technology of the hackers and thieves is out-pacing the banks and card industry.

The hatred towards big banks and credit card companies and Wall Street makes these people feel they are justified. But in the end it is the unsophisticated and smaller consumers who will bear the weight of this structural collapse of information security on PII and credit card files.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM