From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2011 08:41:45 -0600
OK Larry, I read it.

Brings me back to the old days at the beginning of the Evil Empire. Some recognized the need to broker a relationship with upper management. Take those in our profession ready to "sit at the grown-ups table and marry them up with folks at the highest levels that were ready to work with us. Secondary step was to create an environment for mentoring up records professionals to the level required by business executives. Create a professional path to the highest levels.

This thread brings into relief the base issue. The points made might be good issues for managers to address but for the most part would bore the heck out of most executives. Operating at a global level within your organization requires a holistic understanding of operation. This goes beyond records management and ust be achieved if you are to be invited.

This is how it was explained to me
Managers: Driven by process development Awreness and conttributing to policy.
Directors: Driven by policy development and process writng policy
Executives: Decision makers

Granted it is a little simplistic but there it is.
Most of the Records Managers, just as their title suggests, operate at the Manager level. To expect them to leap to the executive level without a lot more experience and mentoring is asking a lot.

Executives are not paid the big bucks because they understand the risk, are knowledgeable about technology, or can account for the money in their budget. They have people that do that (managers and directors). At the big kids table the discussion is what decisions need to be made in order to further the best interests of the organization.

If Records Managers want to sit at the big kids table they need to become decision makers. Live and die with their position and ensure that the organization survives.

Chris Flynn
If you don't agree flame Larry he made me read it.