From:
"Creamer, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:07:02 -0400
I have not read the article yet, but reading your post I can tell you
that you are NOT a typical Records Manager. I seriously doubt if even a
substantial portion of our group is reading a book a week about business
or technical subjects, and if the book reading habits of the general
population apply, anything else either. Nor do most Records Managers (at
least the ones I know) have ANY significant technical background.

It may be different where you live/work, but in NYC or Washington DC, if
I call anyone after 5:30 I'm going to get voice mail, and that is Ok.
I'm only guessing, but I'd wager that it is true that people rarely say
on their death bed that they should have spent more time at the office.

More of us are certainly working from home, because we can and because
we don't always delegate as much as we could, but that is as much
personal preference as it is a real need. For the most part it is my
risk management duties that I often do from home, not my records
management responsibilities.

I'm fortunate that I've been able to design both a commercial conflict
of interest program and a records program, but I left the actual
programming to a propeller head. So I have a technically background
mated to a records & risk management experience, which is in great
demand today, but I don't think most Records Managers approach any
particularly strong level of sophistication when it comes to technology.
They haven't had the interest or the opportunity. Many can't even talk
to their I.T. Group about their records concerns because they don't even
get invited to the table, and they are too timid to ask for a seat.

I don't know any Records Manager that knows, " several programming
languages " and if you do, well, let's just say I'm skeptical, and leave
it at that.

I think she is right, that the majority of Records colleagues are
professionally deficient, mostly because the profession and it's
visibility have changed so much in the last several years.

Being blind to that reality doesn't help the profession, or those who
practice it.

Bill Creamer
Records & conflicts Manager
New York, New York
(212) 728-3448

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This email message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain.  Email messages to clients of Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP presumptively contain information that is confidential and legally privileged; email messages to non-clients are normally confidential and may also be legally privileged.  Please do not read, copy, forward or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it.  If you have received this message in error, please forward it back.  Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP is a limited liability partnership organized in the United States under the laws of the State of Delaware, which laws limit the personal liability of partners.