Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 10:58:56 -0500
Re: Longterm storage of digital records

My rule of thumb is that if a digital file is going to need more than
one migration to maintain viability to the end of its lifecycle,
physical media and formats are indicated.  That may be paper, film, a
"pancake" drive, or something else.  The content may be in analog or
digital (e.g., 2D barcode printed on film).
I know few records managers who are willing to bet that the person
sitting in their chair in 15 years will have the motivation, funding,
staff, know-how, technology, etc. to ensure future, sequential
migrations that preserve the integrity of data and metadata.  The person
applying a retention period to a record may also need to consider
applying the Availability Principle to the mode of storage.

Gordy
Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM
Plainview, MN USA
www.PositivelyRIM.blogspot.com