From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 14:50:37 -0400
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> http://goo.gl/Alk1d
>
> The exposed papers had Social Security numbers, W-2 forms, names, addresses
> and phone numbers....2007 tax return lying in a pile with hundreds of others
> on the ground in front of an abandoned Jackson Hewitt tax preparation office
> at 1734 Divisadero St. in San Francisco.

Thanks Larry.  What I found interesting is the following comment:
<snip>
California's privacy breach notice law requires companies and federal
agencies to notify state residents when their unencrypted personal
information is or may have been acquired by an unauthorized person.
But the law applies only to electronic records, not paper ones, says
Beth Givens, director of the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse.
<snip>

I was under the impression (mistakenly I guess) that the California
law applied to all records and information, no matter the media.
After further investigation I've found that many state security breach
notice laws appear to apply only to computerized data.  Granted, much
of our information is in electronic format.  But as long as there are
printers and copies available we'll still have to deal with paper.
Sorry Mr. Whitaker (RET)...

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Newtown Square, PA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]