From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2011 20:54:52 -0500
A records inventory is essential to effectively managing an organization's
records.  And, a process flow analysis is extremely valuable to catch the
types of records that are received or created so automatically that we
often don't recognize them as records.

This decision needs to be made based on two questions:  what is the desired
end result(s), and what is the organization's goal?

RIM tasks and activities must be aligned with the organization's goals
which may require a creative or innovative approach to reaching the RIM
goals of a records inventory.  Several years ago I implemented a functional
records retention schedule without completing a classic records inventory
because the company needed a retention schedule implemented very quickly to
meet the needs of a scheduled corporate move.  This helped us purge the
active files to prepare for the move.  Then by working with the team of
Records Coordinators through a monthly training plan, we were able to
identify records categories that had been missed.  We supported and met the
organization's goal, and within 2-3 years had developed a comprehensive
list of records categories that covered the old/obsolete categories as well
as the current records categories.

Admittedly, RIM  experience is required as you need to have a good sense of
basic records categories to get this started, and you need to be able
to create new records categories on the fly - if necessary.

Flexibility and listening to the business units is key.
Good luck,
Mary

Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371