From:
"A.S.E. Fairfax" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 09:15:35 -0800
Disparate retention periods for the same record type is easily understood if the workflow analysis shows that a given office is the creator and bears more responsibility for the record (office of record assignment), and other offices have secondary or redundant copies and bear little  or no responsibility for the information in the record.  So, you could easily and routinely have a "permanent" classification for one office, and "dispose of at will" for secondary or redundant copies.

This is not a problem, but an ordered response to either an archival appraisal of value in the records that may not be immediately obvious, or a decision based on knowledge of varying responsibilities in the various offices for the same information. A workflow analyses can partially explain these discrepancies.

Elizabeth

A.S. Elizabeth Fairfax, MA,CA
ACA Certified Archivist/Public Records Professional
Island County Archives, Records and Information Management Program
P.O. Box 5000
1 NE 7th Street
Coupeville, WA   98239
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]