Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:44:09 -0600
Welcome, Lydia.  It is good to have you on the list!

The challenges of long term preservation of digital records are
receiving increased attention in the records community, so your interest
is shared by several or many other records managers.  You will be
hearing more about this in the coming year.

As I see it, there is no one best solution for all situations.  Each
problem must be addressed individually, and no answer is perfect and
complete.  Often, levels of risk, cost, and benefits must be evaluated.

Emulation is one viable strategy, although, like other strategies, it is
a compromise.

I would encourage you to examine a variety of potential solutions (both
hardware and software) before identifying the one that works best for
your situation.

If you can, let us know what you find out.  Members on the list will
appreciate and learn from your exploration.

Wishing you good luck,

Gordy
Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM
Plainview, MN USA