From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 06:23:55 -0800
Well.....
There is a distinction between digitizing your non permanent records and
preserving digitally your archival records. There are a great many factors
that come into play for permanent records. The amount of metadata you will
want is much greater.

Typically the volume of records will be less than 10%. Documentation is the
key. It adds to the cost but allows for the required level of
understanding.

 "fewer people who understand how the old business process worked, and
understand BOTH well enough to create a functioning emulator."

When preserving your archival records documenting your business process is
a basic principal. If you don't use the emulator method and document it
then you will need to describe your process in the metadata well enough for
researchers to understant the relationship between the records. Either way
it wil shoot your ROI out and add to the overall impact to your costs. We
should always be critial of what records are preserved. However, cost
should be a lesser factor than the need to preserve. It is the cost of
doing business.

"Bear in mind there is a galactic difference between keeping records for 20
years, and keeping records for 200 years. In theory, the term "digital
preservation" covers both, but success in the latter endeavour is so
unlikely as to be miraculous."

I disagree. It requires knowedge, understanding and early commitment. IMO
it must, and will be done.

Chris Flynn