From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:49:14 -0500
On Nov 17, 2011, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From: Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: November 16, 2011 12:10:58 PM EST
> Subject: RAINDrop - How Much Should People Worry About the Loss of Online Privacy?

A little while ago (phrases like that automatically date me as not the Y-Gen) I posted about my concerns about LinkedIn and sure enough, the very next week it was hacked.

In looking at things like Facebook and others, (Is My Space still viable?) I never hear the question about weighing the value versus the risk.  Recently we have read some huge risk issues.  FaceBook has the ability to ruin your reputation in a way that you can't fix.

No one can re-close Pandora's Box.  Our marketing people thought they were doing FIRELOCK a favor by placing us on Facebook, but I shut it down. No web site is so secure it cannot be hacked.

Unmoderated Listserves could also be a problem. Ex-employees, competitors and people who just disagree with you can be a problem that is difficult to fix.

Records Managers are expected to be above the pale. (My daughter would say "Dad that really dates you!" ) You are held to a higher Standard.

In fact, by Code, you are held to be the expert authority on records centers, your vault and your offsite storage vendor. If your vendors make a mistake, you are in the chain of liability!  NFPA has very specifically listed you as the "Responsible Party" on many, many issues.

If you do not own a copy of NFPA 232-2012 Edition, stop right now and go to www.NFPA.org/catalog and order a copy.  In fact order two and carry one copy over to Legal after highlighting it for them, highlighting all the areas by law/code where you are the controlling entity for your organization.  Great Power = Great Responsibility!

Ask him/her to provide a official letter saying you are or are not the Responsible Party by definition and if not ask that they define in your organization who is?  Plan to spend some time in meetings........

How many of you own a copy?

I suggest a dialog about NFPA 232-2012 led by Larry Medina as he knows this Standard better than anyone and he can tell you where you could really hurt yourself.

I was right about LinkedIn and again I was right about Facebook and I absolutely agree I am right on NFPA 232 as I sit on that Technical Committee. Larry sits on the Committee.

Larry could an organization behave like Fire Marshals do and only recognize the 232-2001 version or the 2007 version.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM