From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:29:27 -0500
Yes, I remember the Email Task Force that I participated on in 1995 -
started at the DOE Records Management Conference.  Everyone knew the
problems and issues then but the only solution available was print and
file.  Technology still has not provided any solution other than storage
(aka archiving).  Now we have a tremendous glut of email (and other
data) that continues to pile up in the "archives" with no real possibility
of "managing" it.

What happened to the Creation level of the Life Cycle?  Identify what
information/data is needed/required by the organization and only store,
archive, and manage that information.  Oh that's right!  It's too difficult
for knowledge workers to know what information or data is required by their
organization so we'll just save everything - storage is cheap, right?
Sorry for the cynical attitude but this ancient dance just keeps on going!

Knowledge workers can be trained - it isn't rocket science you know - and
it doesn't take a PhD to identify the required information/data.  A records
manager wears many hats and "trainer" is one of them.  The solution
requires technology that allows you to differentiate and separate; and a
systematic training plan.  Discovery has made us all paranoid but if we
have a policy, procedures and training in place we can meet the
requirements.

I think we spend way too much time talking about the problem and very
little time trying to do something about it.
Mary Haider

--
Mary

Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371