From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:37:32 -0800
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Joanna Fagan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I work in the Division of Facilities at Georgetown University.  Up until
> now all of our specifications and operations and maintenance manuals have
> been in hard copy.  Now we want our architecture and engineering firms and
> contractors to deliver the manuals in digital format.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has experience creating manuals in this fashion?
>  How are the pages formatted (PDF/A)?  What types of markers are used
> inside (bookmarks)?  Any recommendations on what not to do?
>
> We will need to train the vendors how to institute our format because they
> are the authors of the documents.  Does anyone have guidelines for this?
>
> Okay to respond off the listserv.
>
> Joanna Fagan

Gut reaction?

While you may WANT THIS, they may not be motivated to comply, especially if
these manuals are for equipment that is used by a wide range of clients and
they purchase it from vendors and as a third party install it.

My thought here would be to (after the fact) scan the documents provided
and store the scanned images in PDF format, indexing the content as you see
fit to meet your use needs.  One thing to keep in mind with manuals like
this is there is generally a parts list and diagrams that refer to a number
of possible configurations and you may only have one of those, so it's
customary to either "circle" the one you have and line out others, or in
some other manner highlight the configuration option/size that applies to
your installation.  These options may include a motor size, duty rating,
valve or other component size, seismic zone rating, etc.

Another thing to consider is *IF* you perform some modification to the
equipment post-installation, or if the equipment is upgraded following a
service and the manual is updated or replaced, it's sort of "game over" for
that document and any cross referenced documents that supported it.

If you develop a specification telling a provider what you want them to do
to deliver it to you in electronic format, they MAY BE willing to do this,
but it's going to be expensive... especially if that's not what they do for
a living.  Last thought on this... many of these manuals are copyrighted by
the equipment provider, which is why when you need multiple copies (per
your purchase order) you actually receive multiple bound glossy copies.

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA