From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:16:33 -0700
Ah forms management, how we love thee.

First, become involved in BFMA. If you think you know all there is to know about forms management, you are wrong. It has grown into a discipline. when you know as much as Max Wyss, well then you will be fairly close. But then, that is not what you are asking I guess.

Forms Catalog
You might want to generate this annually. Published internally as the official repository of all formas approved tobe used by the organization. Any form no tin the current catalog may not be used for offial business. These forms are the master forms and not filled out. Documentation should exist for the justification, function and use should be kept by the department responsible for maintaining and distribution of the catalog.

Retention: permanent
The forms catalog is critial to understaning the operation of the organization of time. Your Archivist may not agree (it has been discussed on the Archives List). Let the Archivist determine, after recieving the record, whether to keep it.

The completed forms
the completed forms whould be retaing according the function performed. In the Retention shedule is will be listed along with the other record types created to perform the function.

Forms Matrix
This is the work product of the department responsible for the creation and maitenance of the forms catalog. Schedule the maitrix as such. You might want to transfer it with the catalog to the Archives at the apropriate time.

Chris Flynn