From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:02:07 -0800
Jessica,

The mantra is that there is no difference between electronic and any other
types of records. True as far as it goes. Develop solid policies and
procedures. Make sure you have as fine an understanding of your
organizations IT capabilities as possible. Never write a policy or
procedure that will put you out of compliance. Push, lead, coddle your IT
folks to where you need them to be.

Now for the diffreence, nowhere is it more important to document your
practices than in the world of electronic records. WIth other formats we
are typically given the benfit of the doubt. WIth good practices the belief
is htat the records have not been altered, destroyed or manipulated
intentionally (not if you have poor practices, but good ones). This is not
the case with electronic records. Even with good practices the level of
documentation needs to be higher. The assumption, when a record is
corrupted or missing, for whatever reason, is that it was intentional. Our
burden is to require and develop practices that document as much of the
process as possible.

The method of diposal will depend on what tools and expertise you have
within the orgainzation. Everything from shootine disks with a 30.06 to DOD
wipes. Certainly the most complete is physical destruction. Grind up your
disks. IT will have a fit. It shoots your ROI out and may not be necessary.
I recomment that whatever you do (don't shoot your drives) make sure it is
NAID certitified if possible.

The devil is in the details.
What are you trying to do?

Chris Flynn