From:
Tony Laino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:29:23 -0500
In December 2007, the Federal Trade Commission announced a $50,000
settlement with American Mortgage Company of Northbrook, Illinois, over
charges the company violated the FTC's Disposal, Safeguards, and Privacy
rules by failing to properly dispose of documents containing consumers'
credit and personally identifiable information. In announcing the
settlement, the FTC put all companies on notice that it is taking such
failures seriously.
A $50,000 settlement might seem low when measured against the potential
for financial harm to individuals as a result of the company's negligence,
but in addition to the negative PR for American Mortgage, the settlement
includes an obligation to obtain an audit, every two years for the next 10
years, from a qualified, independent, third-party professional to ensure
that its security program meets the standards of the order. Any similar
failures by this company during the next decade will be met with more
severe punishment. That, indeed, is a very costly lesson