From:
Ilona Koti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2011 08:54:54 -0800
I think that we have a lot to learn from the CAs out there.

Digital preservation is one area that CAs have spent quite a bit of time on and I think we can significantly benefit from as RMs.

- Reviewing MARC and Dublin Core requirements can help us build stronger information systems and give us guidelines for metadata as finding aids.

- Understanding the process of preservation and some tips can help you determine what to do with long term electronic records.  LoC has some good insights http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/ - especially when it comes to images.

 - Using MPLP tactics could also help us catalog some offsite storage boxes a bit faster http://archivists.metapress.com/content/c741823776k65863/

This is only the beginning there is so much more to learn.  I have a great deal of respect for our fellow archivists and hope to see more joint events and conferences in the future.

All the best -ink

Ilona Koti
MLS, CRM, PMP, CDIA+