From:
Ilona Koti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 04:20:01 -0800
Pat,

In your message you said:

'I will place much more stock in someone with an advanced degree than someone with a string of letters after their name. Formal education, regardless of major, is the real differentiator. Yes, some relevance in major field is nice, but getting that degree is the important thing. This said by a guy who took almost 20 years to complete his Master's. That lack of completion likely cost me some jobs along the way.'

You know I so admire you and value your opinion and mostly agree with you.  But in this case I have to say that formal education only gets you so far.  You need certifications in addition the formal education as well as practical experience.

I have an MLS and an MS in IM and am looking to start my doctoral studies here in the very near future.  I have a six year old so things got put on hold.  Yes, I am a die-hard academic that got an early start and am still pressing on in my continuous learning and am finally teaching to give something back from all that I have learned.  But I have friends that are professors and have some great ideas, but couldn’t deploy a project successfully to save their lives because they have no practical experience because they stayed in a University for most of their career.

But, the formal training only got me a part of the way.  The CRM changed the way that I take tests and made me push myself to become better at everything from my methodologies to my management style and to also gain the respect of my peers who saw that I took the time to make the commitment to the field.  Now the PMP was helpful in streamlining process and putting a practical business approach to everything that I do in general - time, budget and scope - that's all that matters in business.  The CDIA+ helped me figure out how the RM process integrates with technology and that was important, especially how to calculate all of the storage requirements and scanning components.  Becoming a certified coach and trainer helped me be a better consultant by understanding how people work and how I can help them achieve their goals.

But it doesn't stop here.  As you Pat also add more certifications under your belt, each one of us as a records professional needs to look at what there is beyond the CRM and now CIP in other fields.  It's not to just have more commas after our names, because for some of us we have more than enough, but it's to really see what we can learn and apply and help advance the RIM profession.  I strongly believe that there are some of us out there that can and should be teaching others regularly, especially the new comers in the field, how to get better at RIM and evolve our profession to where we will have common C-Level roles that are clearly defined and appreciated by an organization.  What can we share as practicing professionals that we have learned that we wished that we knew 10 years ago to help make someone's life a lot easier and better?  We as advanced practitioners need to be writing formal articles, hosting workshops and teaching.  But at the same time continuously certifying in relevant fields to make sure that we can incorporate innovative new best practices from other disciplines into RIM.

Although I am swamped now with the new international role, I hope to complete the CIPP in 2012 to have a better look at privacy and security.  I'd like to consider the ACEDS for eDiscovery since it's important to see what attorneys and their paralegals are being taught so that I can protect my clients.  I’d like to find a good certification in workflows so that I can build on enhancing business processes (there is a good program in Luxemburg).  And of course, I always have a focus on business continuity planning and disaster recovery, just haven’t decided on a certification yet.  All of this I hope to combine with teaching so that others don’t have to go through all of these classes and can hopefully just read the key highlights from me.

And yes, I'd like to do the CA.  Don't knock the CAs Pat.  Maybe some parts of the CA are dated, but there are certain components such as using diplomatics to verify electronic documents that are awesome concepts.  There are also some wonderful standards on how electronic records should be preserved that we can learn a lot from as RMs, especially as our world is becoming more digital and all of the things printed on acid based paper are falling apart and need to be digitized.  Are some other certifications more relevant, yes probably to some, but it doesn't hurt to learn about what to do with all this 'stuff' on back up disk if we really need to keep it.  This is an area that I think will need significant expertise and there aren't many RMs without the CA background that I think can do this well (without relying on a vendor).  Let me know who you are though if you have a strong digital preservation background and don’t have a CA or are a vendor!

And at the end of the day despite certifications, degrees, courses - nothing beats practical hands on experience.  If you haven't done it, it's all just theory, something that I don't want to hear when I'm in crisis mode trying to recover documents or make major strategic decisions.  It's a hybrid approach.  Learn how to do a good presentation, make a great public speech and write well - those things will get you in the door no matter what certification or educational background you have.  And have a great personality.  If people like you, they will want to work with you and train you on the job at that.

As always, Pat thank you for your comments and your insights.  Let me know if you want a guest spot in my class -ink

Ilona N. Koti

MLS, MS IM, CRM, PMP, CPC, CDIA+……