From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:02:30 -0800
Stephanie, record series and document series are one and the same, and
there is no need to distinguish between the two in a records retention
schedule. Larry rightfully raised the issues of drafts, which I think is
more of an issue of record copy. Retention schedules apply retention to the
record copy, and in the case of drafts, the record copy is the most
complete version of the record. This is a general statement: some
environments have more formal definitions of drafts, treating each as a
record copy to document the development of a generally complex decision or
project; other environments present high risks in which drafts may be
pertinent and should be retained; but in most environments drafts are
exactly that, and can be disposed of when superseded by more complete
versions (for example, the various drafts I made of this email).

One of the reasons I have a problem with the general assumption that a
disposition schedule should cover all information is revealed by your
second question. If that was the case, the issue of IT would not even
arise. In fact, organizations deal with information every day that is
transitory in nature and may not arise to the definition of a formal
record. My issue is not whether we should be concerned as to whether such
information needs some form of control, policy, or documentation; my issue
is with the - in my opinion, flawed - logical leap that the record
disposition schedule is universally the best tool for this, or that it even
makes sense for Records Management to manage "all information".

For example, if by "transitory" you mean business related emails, text
messages, etc.., then absolutely these should be documented in a
disposition schedule developed by Records Management, as they clearly fall
into the realm of "record", even if, based on their content, their
retention may be transitory or very short term. If, on the other hand, you
mean transitory background production data generated by the normal
functions of various applications,  I think the routine business processes
associated with those applications legitimate how that data is maintained,
and a disposition schedule is simply not needed.
--
Dwight Wallis, CRM
Multnomah County Records Management Program