From:
"Enns, Lois" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:57:47 -0800
Hi Alex,

We are working on this initiative in part due to our move to a New City Hall which will feature smaller, open offices and less storage space--we are moving from a sprawling one-story-plus-additions complex to a six-story office tower and the possibly a multi-tower after that. There are concerns about co-located organizational units that previously had more controlled space, and also about co-location of some file registries across departments.

Currently, much of our document security results from physical separation, i.e. the records are in a physical place or shared drive that cannot be physically accessed. With a move to more open areas and storage, we need formal practises for setting and applying criteria for who can see what. In the digital realm, a lot of this is covered by access control and permissions. We are working to create a schema for determining what records have what level of security (e.g. high, medium, low, unprotected) and then develop and implement practises to reflect this.

I should also mention that this initiative is led by Risk Management, who is responsible for all security, from building access, to personal ID tags, and, now, from this perspective, records. RM is participating in the working group, as is legal, audit, and ITS.

We are very interested in learning from what others are doing and appreciate the replies to date, they've all been tremendously helpful.

Regards,
Lois