From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:19:18 -0500
Hi Irene,

Generally speaking, chron files should be duplicates of documents elsewhere in the client file, and so can have a short retention period (some firms destroy them at close of the matter, rather than sending them to storage).  BE CAREFUL to make sure there aren't unique docs in there though ...

As for timesheets, so long as the data is retained in your time and billing system to corroborate invoices, there is no reason to keep the marked up versions in the file.  I often recommend no more than 6 months.  Regardless, they should be purged before sending the file to storage.

As always, you should verify this for your jurisdictions.

Hope it helps

Julie

Julie J. Colgan, CRM
Columbia, SC