From:
Wayne Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:14:28 -0500
This comes as a real experience and may fit what you're looking for.  I worked
for an oil and gas company that had just made a large acquisition of another
O&G company.  Our manager decided it would be brilliant to scan the well files
as we received them, and so was born a terrible project of scanning poorly-
organized well files into poorly-organized digital files with minimal metadata.
They were just useful enough that some people liked having the digital copy
handy, but for the most part they were just giant PDF's on a hard drive.
When I came on one of my major tasks was to revisit the digital copies, break
them into meaningful sections, and make them more useful.

For your class, this hits on a number of areas that relate both directly and
indirectly to digital preservation.  The first is organizing the data properly so
that it can be useful for the long term - establishing appropriate metadata and
then capturing the metadata.  There's the care required to ensure good
images when scanning.  There's the most appropriate format to scan the files
into, perhaps PDF/A.  There's the question of how to store the images and
data (e.g. a robust EDRMS), and how to migrate the data to new systems
that are adopted in the years to come.  The fundamental question of data
and media obsolescence of course applies.  Add to all of this the fact that
well files are dynamic files, and new information has to be added to them on
an ongoing basis.  This was complicated by the fact that we were maintaining
two complete copies, the paper and the electronic, because the younger
engineers found the electronic file indispensible and the older engineers
wanted nothing but paper.

Perhaps that'll at least give you some ideas.  Good luck!

Wayne Hoff, CRM
Calgary, AB