From:
"Bergeron, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:34:30 -0500
Well, Paul did add the "with trepidation" disclaimer on the post about
my appearance on Al Sharpton's show relative to voter ID laws and the
stunt pulled by a small group who used some dead folks' names to get
their hands on ballots.  For what it's worth, the National Conference of
State Legislatures maintains a map and summary of voter ID laws at
http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-elections/elections-campaigns/voter-id-
state-requirements.aspx

Here in NH, the discussion isn't so much about whether or not there
should be some kind of voter ID law, the debate is over how restrictive
the photo ID requirement should be.  For example, a bill killed last
session would not have allowed cities and towns -- that actually accept
and process voter registrations and run state and elections -- to issue
voter IDs (state government would do it), and elderly who no longer
drive could not use an expired driver's license as an ID. Subsequently,
an interim study committee bill that would have allowed non-photo ID
alternatives never got out of the House Election Law Committee for the
start of the 2012 session.

With that said, regardless as to what our own opinions may be about some
of the laws and policies we are responsible for implementing, we do have
an obligation to do our best to see that those laws are followed and to
support those people that work with us in carrying out our office's
responsibilities. I believe that to be true regardless as to whether we
are discussing the integrity of our records or the integrity of our
elections.

Thus my personal opinion relative to voter ID and other election laws is
irrelevant, but I do hope that the Attorney General's Office will find
cause for prosecution in defense of the laws my staff and election
officials are required to follow.

Paul Bergeron
Nashua, NH