From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:24:10 -0800
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Seyed Jaafar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We are working out a strategy to keep the data / backup pertaining to
> security systems camera recording, logs etc.
>
> Can the LIST guide me on the records retention period for the following
> types
> of data:
>
> 1.      Backup Tapes (for backing up from the backup storage which is used
> for full image (video recording) and access log)
> 2.      SMS Servers Database Backup
> 3.      Full image backup (including operating system files)
>
> Thanks a lot for your assitance in this regard.
>
> Seyed Jaafar

All organizations have to make their own decisions based on a set of
criteria pertinent to them.  Factors to consider include:

- Any legal requirements for producing and maintaining backups (based on
content)
- IT practices and frequency of generating backups
- Relative value of data on the backup to operations
- Types of backups (incremental or full)
- "Depth" of backup (asychronus on a server or tertiary data on removable
media)
- Risk tolerance or aversion

Also, it seems there may be some need to consider the separation of data on
the backups you're running based on the content. As an example you mention
"operating system files"- which I'm assuming to include OS, Applications,
etc.  These should be on independent backups and retained as a matter of
safety/security to support the original actual media they were purchased
on.  While its not uncommon for an individual's backups of their home
computer systems to be a"mirrored" copy that would include both OS, Apps
and data, this is not a common practice for business organizations.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA
RIM Professional since 1972*