From:
Aprille McKay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2012 13:50:27 -0500
Hello,

I'm trying to determine whether it would be more efficient to build a
relational database solution to manage the creation, upkeep and publication
of our university-wide records schedule or to buy an off-the-shelf product.
 I'm interested in finding out if there are off-the-shelf solutions that
folks are pleased with (or really not pleased with).

Our solution would need both administrative access and end-user reference
access (available on the web) that would allow a user-friendly interface
for searching, sorting and browsing of record series entries.  The end-user
would see a subset of the information that would be available to the
records manager/administrator.

We'd like if it could enable the selection of locally-applicable record
series with a tick-box, and the subsequent ability to print or present only
the selected series into a local schedule to an end user.

It would have to incorporate version control for the records policies so we
could know what rule was in effect for a given period of time for a given
series.

Linking to statutory and regulatory record-keeping requirements is also
desired.

If you're using a vendor solution for this function, how much value do you
think you're getting for the money?  How good is the support?  How hard was
it to adapt your local practice to the product?

Thanks very much for any help you can give,
Aprille

--
Aprille Cooke McKay, MSI, JD