From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2012 13:17:40 -0500
Well, Carolyn,
I haven't read the article that you cited, but from long experience I can
guess most of what it says.  In 1980 I started a new career in sales with a
company that sold cabinets and devices for storing computer printout -
mostly stored in the "IBM" room or the accountant's office.  Shortly after
I started my job there was a big news article about the impending paperless
office and I thought my sales career was doomed.  In fact, there has
been more paper printout than ever before.  The difference is that the
paper printouts were rotated on a more frequent basis and my company
continued to sell the cabinets and storage devices.  Since that time the
"IBM" or "IT" departments have stopped creating the paper printouts, but
the departments are now able to print whatever they want.  That is probably
the basis of the information glut problem that is plaguing companies today.

It doesn't matter if we (IT or end users) are printing to paper or
electronic media, we are "printing" and "saving" a glut of information
without a plan.  Records and Information Management is a "plan" that
defines what is created/used, where it is stored/accessed and when it is
destroyed.  The process of creating and storing without a plan equates to
disaster - and we see that disaster everywhere now - even more so with the
electronic media.  But beyond having a plan is following the plan.  The old
business advice is to have a plan - and work that plan.  So the RIM plan
must be established, implemented and audited on a routine/frequent basis to
ensure any possible success.  The issue is not the media (paper or
electronic); the issue is managing the business resources, including
records and information.

My gut says there will always be some paper as well as electronic data -
our task is to manage it efficiently and effectively regardless of the
media currently used.  It can be done.  But, technology alone cannot and
will not solve the problem.  Make a plan and work the plan.
Sincerely,
Mary
Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371