From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:25:52 -0800
As a person that has been involved in managing at times difficult and
extensive personnel actions, let me just point out that I am lost as to why
maintaining what are essentially unsubstantiated allegations indefinitely
in an employee's file is a good thing.

Allegations get substantiated or not when they are investigated by
management and other responsible parties in a timely manner. If they are
substantiated, they need to be acted upon in a progressive disciplinary
fashion, up to and including dismissal. The problem is not with allegations
being disposed of after a certain period of time; the problem is with
management failing to act on them when the allegations are made and the
incidents occur. There is simply no excuse for this - it certainly
shouldn't be blamed on a union contract which, in my opinion, provides more
than adequate time in the employee's file for the allegations to be acted
upon, and, rightfully, requires their disposal if those allegations remain
unsubstantiated.

--
Dwight Wallis, CRM
Multnomah County Records Management Program