From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2012 12:43:13 -0800
Ann, you can find a copy of our destruction policy at:

http://web.multco.us/sites/default/files/records/documents/rec-5.pdf

We are utilizing this process for our electronic holdings as well, however,
I anticipate some changes and challenges as we begin managing disposition
from large enterprise systems such as SAP, which will demand enterprise
authorization.

Regarding: "...  do you notify the business unit that a list of records
will be destroyed, and they must respond within a certain timeframe to stop
the destruction?"

I think this works best in smaller enterprises with clear lines of
authority and custodianship. We operate in a large enterprise with multiple
lines of authority. This requires a more entrepreneurial approach, as the
success of our operation depends on attracting customers into the system,
then keeping them there through the quality and value of our service. We
don't "own" their records - destroying records with their authorization
places that custodial responsibility where it belongs. It also attracts
customers and builds the market, as we can assure them that we are not
going to do anything with their records without their permission.

--
Dwight Wallis, CRM
Multnomah County Records Management Program