From:
"Elizabeth W. Adkins, CRM, CA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2012 17:59:53 -0500
Please join ARMA NOVA for our March chapter meeting.  Our program theme
for this chapter season is “From Records Management to Information
Governance.”  We will be exploring how we as RIM professionals need to
expand our focus beyond records retention and disposition, to a full range of
lifecycle management governance strategies and processes.  Our speaker for
this meeting is Michael Miller, Director of RIM Consulting, Array Information
Technology.

When a document becomes a record is arguably the most critical question in
managing electronic records.  The success rate for records management
application installations is dismal.  The number of systems that fail (or as we
used to say “failed to meet expectations”) far exceeds the successes.  Most
system implementers and commentators on the state of the profession agree
that the major causes of failure are a lack of an appropriate policy base and
end-user resistance.  The twin problems crystallize in the classic end-user
question “When does my document become a record?”

In this presentation, Mike Miller systematically analyzes several answers to
this question and compares them from the perspectives of the employee,
manager, records manager, IT manager and legal counsel.  He summarizes the
advantages, pitfalls, and unintended consequences of each and offers
thoughts on how well each would integrate with a compliance-centric
approach to RIM, an information-centric approach, and an implementation of
SharePoint.

Through the course of the discussion you will:
1.  Examine the various answers to the question of when a document becomes
a records in the context of records management theory and practice.
2.  Understand how those answers impact the end-user, program manager, IT
manager and General Counsel.
3.  Learn criteria for determining which approach would best fit your
organization.

About our Speaker:
Michael Miller is the Director of RIM Consulting at Array Information
Technology and teaches electronic records management at Drexel University
and the University of Maryland.  He has over 35 years of experience in Federal
records including Director of Modern Records at the National Archives and
Records Administration and National Program Manager for Records at the EPA.
A Certified Records Manager and a Certified Archivist, his professional interest
is exploring the critical success factors for records management programs and
their interrelationships.

Logistics:

DATE:  Wednesday, March 21, 2012

TIME:
5:30 PM  Registration
6:00 PM  Dinner
7:00 PM  Program
PLACE:  Marco Polo Restaurant, 245 Maple Avenue, West Vienna, VA 22180
703.281.3922
PARKING:  Free at the restaurant
METRO:  	Vienna Metro plus a five minute cab ride
COST:  $25.00 Member, $30.00 Non-Member

Register at https://co.clickandpledge.com/advanced/default.aspx?wid=32497