From:
Sam McCollum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 22:43:32 -0600
      I want to echo Tod's last comment related to the GARP Assessment tool
(see below); it is important to realize that the GARP Principles and
Maturity Model for Information Governance are analysis tools that must then
be used to assist organizations to develop their own unique Strategic
Information Management (SIM) Roadmaps and SIM Plans.
    I recently presented at both the Salt Lake City, Utah and Washington,
DC seminars. My objective was to show that organizations could make the
step from GARP analysis to the design of SIM multi-year roadmaps and
strategic plans. At the Salt Lake seminar we also coached a 3 hour workshop
where participants were able to work with the two ARMA tools and eight
other SIM tools (designed to support the GARP tools) to create a SIM plan
and roadmap for a typical utility corporation. Both the presentation and
the workshop were based on an actual case study done in 2011. That SIM
design process was repeated with a major energy government regulator in
March of this year.
    The point I want to make is that the GARP Analysis is a necessary first
step, that must be followed by a SIM Roadmap and Plan design process that
is best developed by an organization's internal SIM design team with help
from an external SIM coach.
    For those who are interested in the SIM design process, we will be
presenting at the Canadian ARMA conference in Nanaimo, BC in June 2012.

*        "Post meeting I commented to a workmate that the assessment or
resultant** score is not the most important part, but what    comes after -
the roadmap, strategy, and actions to improve on the current state."
Happy Friday All!   Tod Chernikoff, CRM, CIP*

Sam McCollum, MBA, CRM, ERMm
President and CEO
SIMC Coaching Corporation
http://simccoaching.com