From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:45:13 -0400
Good replies so far.  I train our records folks and other employees on RIM (records and information management) and include information governance and sustainable information governance as part of the training.  I believe a thorough RIM program (hence the information part combined with records) is a major part of information governance, especially since the majority of our recordkeeping is electronic.  Here is part of the training slides (bold) (and presentation notes (not bold)) that defines the terminology as it is used internally:
Information governance is the management of  information by implementing processes, roles, controls and metrics that treat information as a valuable business asset.  The goal of this approach is to make information assets available to those who need it, while streamlining management, reducing costs and ensuring compliance.  It also allows the organization to reduce the legal risks associated with unmanaged or inconsistently managed information and to be more agile in response to a changing marketplace or legislative arena.
Records are also information and must also be governed.  Without information we do not stay in business. Our information is as much an asset as our pipelines, facilities, vehicles, and tools.   We need accurate and timely information to obtain and keep our permits for pumping and treating water, for determining how best to use our resources to maintain our distribution system, and to efficiently service our customers.
All WW information is governed by the RM policies and procedures, whether it is data residing in a database like SAP or SRRS, spreadsheets and word documents on an H drive or the R drive, or sign-in sheets for training sessions or safety meetings.
Sustainable Information Governance - the management of  information as a valuable business asset by maintaining and improving the established records and information management processes
This includes revision and improvement. It is more than maintaining the status quo.  Need to continuously improve in order to maintain its value to the organization as a business asset.  Management of the information includes maintaining supporting documentation and data to confirm and uphold any actions taken based on the information we compile or receive.  This means we must be able to support our compliance with laws and regulations through the retention of appropriate documentation and data.  This can get costly if we do not manage the information using policies and procedures based on laws, standards, and professional best practices.

Ginny Jones

(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)

Records Manager

Information Technology Division