From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 07:52:30 -0700
Ginny makes a good point.

However, our awareness and perspective matter less if we are not in the
room or in an adequate position to convey this reality. As a 'profession"
we have historically had a series of adjuct titles and tangential sub
professon inflicted on us by executives that attend confreences or read
articles. We also have well funded, orgainzationally connected CIOs that
view us from an entirely different perspective dictate what we are called
and to a range of degrees influence what we can do.

Others will continue to have disproporationate influence over our
"profession" until we take a leadership role in the realm of information
management. GARP has a role at a level in establishing a baseline. It does
not address taking a leadership position. To often others take what should
be our role simply by being in the room. Legislativley, lawyers are
consulted rather that Records Managers. Risk managers get the call in the
event of a disaster. When technology raises its head IT people carry the
day. We have, and will continue to be, a second or third tier resource
until we prove we can sit at the grownups table.

Some in the field of Records Management have risen to executive level
orgainzationally. This does not seem to be migrating throughout he field.
It continues to be an individual phenomena. GARP may help as it develops
the question rains will our field of endeavor develop into a "profession"

Chris Flynn