From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:19:44 -0700
Let's look at this from a little different perspective. I have always used
the horse analogy in the past. Historically horses were a critical element
to man. Obviously their role has been replaced over the years. Yet, there
are more horses today than there have ever been before.It is their role
that has shifted.

Another way to look at it is, it looks like we now have the abilty to grow
meat in a lab (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110906085145.htm).
I do not anticipate a rush by Americans to buy this meat. By some accounts
it will be superior to the meat raised in traditional fashion. The meat
will better for the environment and possibly superior in every way. I would
think there will be a lot of push back on this from ranchers, politicians,
and those invested in the process. The marketing model will dictate how
well and how fast it becomes part and parcel of our eating practices. If
the price point of grown meat is a fraction of current prices, and truly is
better, it will become a reality faster.
Internal combustion cars replaced horses becasue they were better, faster,
more reliable, and affordable. The perception of the paperless office is
that it has not been able to achieve it's promises. It remains an expensive
endeavor. Manufacturing has invested in, and paid for existing processes.
Re-tooling is cost prohibitive. Conversion is disruptive, slowing critical
processes, and is demanding on all resources. reliabilty is questionable.

Companies developing the capabilty to go paperless targeted the fortune
500. Tools that have the abilty to create the desired enviorment have been
slow, in modern terms, to filter down to smaller organizations. The price
point remains high. Most companies do not believe they can convert and
still achieve their primary goals.

How do we get to the point where we go "paperless"? First, get the idea out
of our vernacular. People love horses and beef on the hoof. Why confront
them on that issue. There will always be trees there will always be
paper. Papers role in the business process is what we should be addressing.
Second, while the capabilty of systems to improve processses has developed
over time, perception remains that no matter how good it is not affordable
and not reliable enough. In the old days they races cars against horses.
the proof is in the pudding. We need to be better at showing people that
electronic record are better. We need to buy into it and sell it.

Is it a generational issue? Yes and no. yes the younger generation will
create an environment much more dependent on elctronic information. If a
paperless environement comes it will be because the more "mature" people
buy into it and make it happen. Remember, with few exeption the next
generation has little real power. The next generation will be brought up in
our model . We need to make our model one of change.

Well back in the saddle I go cows to feed.

Chris Flynn