From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2012 09:41:22 -0400
As usual, the headline MAY, and I will repeat, MAY be a bit sensationalized.
The article (or at least a previous one I read on this topic) does note that
there is a good possibility the records are in fact there or at least in the
hands of the agency(ies).  The sheer volume of material in that building - I
can attest to as I have visited the WNRC along with other NARA facilities in
the DC area - and the FRC system in general can lead to situations where
records:

1) Are not where they are thought to be, or
2) Loose of identity as older cartons without adhesive labels sometimes have
their ID slips fall from their holders
3) Get a new identity. This possibility was mentioned where poor procedures
at the agency level - when cartons are retrieved and then reboxed (without
notice to NARA) and sent back to the FRC with a new identity.

As someone who has been a government and corporate records manager and
having dealt with relatively large volumes of records, though not on the
scale of the WNRC, I can say these things do happen, and it is an effort to
keep everyone in the process aware of what they need to do to reduce the
likelihood of these things happening, and auditing the process to catch such
missteps.

Please carry on now (not like that) and have a happy Friday.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM, CIP
Silver Spring MD
www.twitter.com/tchernik