From:
Maureen Cusack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:32:00 -0700
How embarassing for Canada. I can't say it any better than the Globe & Mail
author did:

 "This vandalism ranks with the ending of the compulsory national census as
governmental idiocy of the highest order."

The bureaucrat who serves as the Librarian and Archivist of Canada, Daniel
Caron, is neither a librarian nor an archivist
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/012/012-201-e.html  When the federal
government made the colossal blunder of doing away with the census long
form, the Chief Statisician of Canada, resigned. That dedication to
upholding the standards of one's profession, in the face of political
pressure, is admirable. And also rather a no-brainer....for a member of a
profession, that is. It doesn't seem to be quite as clear to Mr. Caron, as
it was to Mr. Sheikh at Statistics Canada, what the basic
standards underlying his discipline and industry are.

I think it's time for Mr. Caron to step down and let a professional take
over.

--
Maureen Cusack
San Francisco, CA