From:
Julie Colgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:37:06 -0400
Hi John,

The devil is in the details when it comes to whether MS Exchange 2010 can really do email management.

IMO, the premise they have isn't bad.  Managing email within native technology is attractive.  However, the appropriateness of the tool - versus something else - hinges on the typical variables: size, scope, industry, reg and lit profile, culture, business and business goals, etc.

The configuration of the features is also key, and takes as much forethought as any other email management approach.  For instance, MRM can allow individual users to set - and potentially override - retention rules on individual objects.  In a highly regulated and /or litigated entity, that feature may be problematic and counterintuitive to the end goals.

I am working with two clients who have opted to use MRM (they already had enterprise CALs so the lack of additional investment was the primary driver).  As with any email management initiative, we are focusing first on what the desired business outcomes are and establishing the necessary policy/procedures, then we will configure the tech to mirror the expectations as closely as possible.

With both clients, I am encouraging they seek ways to automate the "archiving" and "processing" of email according to rules as much as possible, and to centralize rule application at the server rather than the user.  Neither client is live yet so we'll have to wait and see how it ends up, but I am optimistic that, for these particular clients and their goals, the end result will be "reasonable" and will reasonably meet their email management needs.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this as well.

Julie

Julie J. Colgan, CRM

Sent from my iPad