From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:28:00 -0700
It may be important to also consider when discussing the use of cloud or
tape technology, are users talking about BACKUPS or REPLICATED DATASETS?

If it's a 'fail over' volume that is used to perform rapid recovery in
real-time when the primary systems fail, then disk based systems are
without a doubt the most effective and efficient way to go.

Whether you are using a self managed or service provider operated system
may in some way determine how it is structured. If it's self managed, you
may simply have servers (RAID, FRDS, FTDS or DTDS) that are on line or near
line in facilities you manage either remotely or directly.  If it's service
provider managed, your SLA determiones how it's configured. operated and
manged and the level of separation your data has from that of others.

Backups, however are a COMPLETELY different thing.  Where a RAID type setup
is used as secondary storage, it's not intended as an alternative to having
a backup.  A RAID may protect your primary data from a catastrophic loss
caused by physical damage or errors occurring in the primary
hardware/media, it does not allow for recovery in the event of damage due
to errors that were possibly written to both the primary and secondary
storage.

Larry

As mentnioned by Fred in the G-Mail example, if errors exist in the primary
set that have been copied over to the secondary set, you may need to go
your true, periodically generated backup to restore a clean version of your
data. Backups are critical to protect against software errors and user
errors or malicious events that result in data deletion.

--
*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA