From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:13:08 -0400
Carol,

I assume that you know this terminology is not a new concept, but is seen
differently by different groups:

Data Warehousing where the concept originated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_of_record
http://www.information-management.com/issues/20030501/6645-1.html
etc.
Googling System of Records brings up a lot of the various - differing -
concepts  about the use of this terminology. Somewhat like the way you seem
to be seeing it.

However, AIIM in the last few years has proposed to differentiate Systems of
Records (older line of business applications, ECM, and ERM architectures)
from Systems of Engagement (Social Media):
http://www.aiim.org/Research-and-Publications/Research/AIIM-White-Papers/Sys
tems-of-Engagement
http://aiim.typepad.com/aiim_blog/2010/10/systems-of-record-and-systems-of-e
ngagement.html
They (sort of) think anything not a Social Media system is one "of Record".

I just wanted to make sure you knew these different "perspectives" on the
terminology are out there.

John

John Phillps
Information Technology Decisions