From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:21:53 -0700
The most common reference I'm familiar with for the term "System of
Records" comes from the Privacy Act of 1974 and it's generally used in
conjunction with defining records maintained on individuals associated with
each other because of the use of a common identifier (such as an SSN).

http://www.justice.gov/opcl/privstat.htm

This text is littered with references to a "system of records"

And this is the definition from the GSA for a "Privacy Act System of
Records" http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104253

The Privacy Act requires federal agencies to publish a notice in the
Federal Register for each system of records that an agency maintains. A
system of records contains information that is retrieved by an individual's
name or other unique identifier. The notice ensures that privacy
considerations have been addressed in implementing the system.

GSA issues two types of notices, for internal GSA systems of records and
for systems of records maintained by other agencies for which GSA has
program responsibility.

http://www.dhs.gov/files/publications/gc_1185458955781.shtm

A System of Records is a group of any records under the control of any
agency from which information is retrieved by the name of the individual or
by some identifying number, symbol, or other identifier assigned to the
individual. The Privacy Act requires each agency to publish notice of its
systems of records in the Federal Register. This notice is generally
referred to as a system of records notice (SORN).

It's also common to see this term in a Federal Acquisition Regulation,
(FAR)

https://www.acquisition.gov/far/html/Subpart%2039_1.html

Is it possible someone saw this terminology and decided to expand it's use
to refer to something else?

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina