From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2014 09:55:34 -0500
On Feb 2, 2014, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> From: PeterK <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Camden County converts entire property deed archive to digital | NJ.com
>
> Camden County converts entire property deed archive to digital | NJ.com
> More than 2.2 million pages worth of property deeds have been scanned into
> a computer database as part of the Camden County clerk's initiative to
> offer every property deed recorded in the county in a digital format.
>
> http://bit.ly/1dUtjHu

We have been party to many of these efforts and oftentimes the states make a requirement known that the vaults storing the media must provide Class 125 protection for these digital archive. Again, the discussion Gary Link started about classifying certain records as “Vital” become relevant in these type of Case Studies.

This is a perfect example, all land ownership in a town, city or county is based on the abstracts, and Deed Books. I have Deed Books in our vaults that start in the 1600’s so longevity of the records is critical.  Best Evidence classification is also an issue. And something like “Ransomware” that could encrypt the data so it is no longer readable could lead to chaos.

I like the concept of also maintaining the original books. The interesting records management piece will be how the new deeds are maintained?  Will they be strictly digital moving forward or will the pages in the original books be updated so the books stay as the original Vital Record. By limiting access to the books, preservation will be easier but in some cases, “Out of sight…..Out of Mind.” The environmental control of the books is the key factor

Town Hall Vaults have been a critical part of our heritage in protecting vital records and oftentimes when the conversion to digital occurs, the Big Data people use eliminating the Vault as part of their “reduced cost of ownership sales presentation.” But nothing replaces the dedicated Town Clerk for proactive stewardship of the records in their care.  A good example is the Clerk’s Office Trust Fund they developed to fund protection of these records.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM