Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2016 22:25:31 -0700

> ....Since data analytics requires we retain data longer than our schedule requires, and neither our records' policy nor our retention schedule specifically address raw data, databases, etc....

If it's YOUR retention schedule, then YOU determine how long to retain the information assets.  The typical criteria for establishing retention periods are:

- Minimum requirements (as stated in laws, regulations, and/or statutes)
- Plus, Business needs that exceed those
- Plus, any additional perceived research and/or historical value assigned to them

The first is mandatory; the others require a cost/benefit/risk analysis to determine what extended retention you want to place on the assets.

YES, if they're retained, they ARE discoverable, but if your business needs exceed the cost and risk, you do it anyway. But you minimize any risk.

As for the manner for retaining databases/data sets, the general practice is to take a "snapshot" of the database, retain that until you change the database, then take a new snapshot.

They're a living item that changes every time you add or delete content, but it isn't realistic to retain every single change... So you write into your policy, practices, procedures (and RRS) language to explain what/why you make your decision, such as:

"Databases/Data Sets will be captured whenever major changes are made, or monthly. Monthly versions will be retained for one year, then replaced by new versions."

Extractions generated (reports and/or analytics) that represent a portion of the database/data set are transitory, and not subject to independent retention.

Larry Medina