From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2011 07:14:35 -0700
I tend to see the issue in terms of two distinct groups. In the case of
cloud applications it is not public and private but rather the motivating
factors and the ability to pay for solutions. For those that chose to
exploit the cloud technology because they saw it as the future and wanted
to get ahead, not because of economic necesity, but desire the solutions
might be attainable. Those in this this group might have the means to bring
the volume into compliace with future demands. The risk lies in that large
group that pursues cloud solutions because it was a solution that was
within their means.

The volume of information stored within the cloud has grown exponentially.
If well managed solutions we transferred into the integration an
organization might be able to affordably reach future compliance. If a
faulty integration was created then a financiallly strapped organization
will be in a substantially weaker position. If the money is not there then
there is little hope that these organizations will be able to create a
cloud environment that meets their needs.
As far as market demands go we have seen this phenomenea before. IT is
legendary for creating solution because they can and executives bought in
to it in those heady days. We all deal with email problems that grew out of
this culture. The cloud environmnet is another more pervasive reflection of
this model. We have not even begun to see the issues that will impact us in
the future. In part because we are not p[art of creating the solution or
lack the ability to provide input at the right time, at he right level,
decisions are made that can create huge financial and legal problems for an
organiztion. We fall short in this regard, relying on the courts to bring
the culture into line. The main problem with us letting the courts support
our position is time. By the time the courts have caught up and the
legislation is put in place to deal with it, the cost is usually
prohibitive, the time committed to create and implement solutions
unreasonable. The only group I have been a part of that addressed this
practively is BFMA. They brought the vendors in and bullied them into
creating solutions that met their needs.

We must take a much more agressive role in mitigating risks associated with
implimenting new technologies. Some in our profession have the knowledge,
experience and as a result the means, within their organization to do this.
The professional reponsibility of the rest of us is to achieve that status
and aggressively pursue it.

Currently if there was a cloud parade we would be the folks that come along
after with shovels. Having had that role as a kid on a hot August day, I
don't recomment it. We might never lead the parade but I tell you it is
better to be on a horse than follow along after it.

Chris Flynn