From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2018 13:14:43 -0500
Call me cynical, but this sounds like some commercial record center revenue
enhancement because it means an extra $3.10 per box (more likely per cubic
foot) for every box to start and then every time the box comes back from
retrieval.

I'm curious if they are just using regular shrink wrap or if they are using
some sort of plastic bag that gets sealed with heat to conform with the box?

I've seen it done to damaged boxes to protect the contents in transit, with
an expectation that the customer will repair or replace the damaged box.
With regard to "protecting boxes should the sprinkler system go off", I'm
rather dubious about that.  I think you'd need a fair amount of wrap on
each box to properly seal it and the more layers you build up, the less
scannable the bar codes are going to be -- it will put a real hit on the
CRC's ability to find and retrieve boxes if you can't read the labels and
adding more labels outside the wrap is not a great solution. And in order
to get a good scan on the box, most people will tear away the wrap in front
of the bar code, so now you have a hole in the wrap. And just handling the
box to be put away increases the likelihood that the wrap is going to be
damaged -- those holes in the side of the box are where your fingers go to
carry the box.

In my experience, a good records center carton (heavy, double-wall
construction, with a deep lid) should be sufficient to provide decent
protection to contents. Crappy boxes will likely come apart if they get
soaked. Fire hose pressure or submerged boxes, all bets are off. Water will
likely infiltrate through the hand holds, but water is generally dealt with
through freeze-drying or vacuum drying. Not a cheap solution, but the way
that the issue is dealt with if it happens.

I can't say that adding all that plastic wrap to the waste stream is a
great idea. If your organization is trying to be "green", that's a bunch of
material that most likely going to get landfilled, so something to consider
when you're looking at green initiatives.

Curious to hear if others are seeing this elsewhere.

Patrick Cunningham, CISM, CIPT, FAI