From:
"Johnsen, Maggi A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:53:58 -0500
While it doesn't appear that the requirements of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) would apply to your industry, their retention requirement for "Certificates of incorporation, or equivalent agreements and amendments thereto," is Life of Corporation.

The citation is 18 CFR 368.3-(2)(b)(1).

From an historical standpoint, I would not just keep them LC.  For large corporations that have subsidiaries with separate legal standing, it would mean that you would have to dispose of these records when that subsidiary was dissolved.  In fact, we experienced this and rethought the difference between LC and Permanent.  Based on this, we revised some retention periods from LC to Permanent.

Maggi
Maggi Johnsen, CRM | Georgia Power Company | Supervisor, Business Information Services
241 Ralph McGill Boulevard NE,  BIN 10050| Atlanta, GA 30308-3374 | PHONE: 404-506-1680 | FAX: 404.506.6652 | E: [log in to unmask]