From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2011 10:29:40 -0600
When I worked at Argonne National Laboratory as a contractor to the DOE we
were aware that tape storage was not reliable for long-term storage and that
NARA had guidelines for sampling magnetic tapes.  Someone mentioned the
other day that the tapes being marketed today (i.e. DLT, LTO, SDLT etc.) are
much more reliable.  I've been surfing the internet and find a wide range of
opinions.  The vendors of these products promote long-term reliability.  So
I'm looking for various thoughts on this issue.  If you use tape for
long-term storage, what is your experience.  Or, if you have an educated
opinion that would be great too.
Thanks much, Mary

Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager